Children, traveling together, waiting at the airport to board the aircraft

Separated families: the do’s and don’ts of international travel

With a number of nearby international destinations requiring a shorter trip than the flight from Sydney to Perth, it is relatively common for Australian families to take on overseas holidays, whether for a simple short break, or for an extended period over the end of year holidays.

If you are a divorcee and your children don’t have a current passport, then you may need to negotiate with the non-travelling parent in order to have them sign the relevant passport application.

In the event that the non-travelling parent is not prepared to provide their consent and refuses to sign the application, either due to them having genuine concerns for the child’s safety, or (as is sometimes the case) for no good reason at all, then you are likely to require advice surrounding how to make an application to the Family Court.

The Family Court has the power to make an order requiring the non-travelling parent to sign the passport application, or alternatively, an order determining that their signature is not actually required.  In making this determination, the Family Court’s paramount consideration will always be whatever is in the best interest of your child.

Additionally, the Family Court may take the following into consideration:

  • Whether there is any risk to the children’s welfare when they are in the travelling parent’s care;
  • Whether your child will be affected by not being able to spend time with the non-travelling parent, and in turn, whether the length of your stay outside the jurisdiction will be an issue;
  • The overall genuineness of your application;
  • Whether there are any threats to the children’s welfare in the proposed overseas environment; and
  • How satisfied the court is that your promise to return to Australia will be honoured.

The Family Court will explore whether there is sufficient evidence to demonstrate that your travel plans are genuine, that you have adequate ties to Australia, and that you intend to return to Australia with the children following your trip.  

As security, the Family Court may require you to enter a bond which can take a number of forms.
By way of example, you may be asked to provide a monetary bond to be held in trust, or security over an asset such as a property.  In the event that you fail to return, the security may be released to the non-travelling parent so that they can use the funds towards recovering the children and returning them to Australia.

To avoid the issue of overseas travel turning into a dispute, both parties should consider including provisions in orders (either by consent or otherwise) that outline the conditions in which the parties can travel with the child.

If you are having difficulties obtaining the consent of your partner to travel internationally with your children and would like to speak with a lawyer in Coleman Greig’s Family Law team with regard to the options available to you, or you require advice relating to international travel more generally, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.


Send an enquiry

Any personal information you provide is collected pursuant to our Privacy Policy.


More posts

SafeWork NSW
SafeWork NSW releases new strategy to address psychosocial hazards

On 22 May 2024 SafeWork NSW introduced a new strategy to address psychological and psychosocial hazards. The SafeWork NSW Psychological Health and Safety Strategy 2024-2026 establishes new supports for employers regarding their duties in preventing psychosocial harm in the workplace.

roles in the strata scheme
Understanding roles in the strata scheme

A strata scheme is a building or group of buildings that have been divided into lots which can be apartments, villas, offices, units or townhouses. This will be articulated in the strata plan.

Airbnb home
Can I put my home on Airbnb?

Airbnb is a form of short-term rental accommodation. To add your property to Airbnb in NSW, you are required to meet several laws and regulations governing short-term rentals.

liquidators required to seek approval
When are liquidators required to seek approval to retain legal counsel?

When does a liquidator (or the company he or she is appointed to) need court, creditor, or committee approval to validly retain a solicitor to act in a liquidation matter which is likely to extend for longer than three months?  The answer to this question has only recently been settled.

Proposed changes to building
Proposed changes to building and construction law in NSW

The Building Bill 2022 (the Bill) is the key avenue through which the NSW Government has proposed to reshape the culture of the building and construction industry by eliminating poor performance and improving the quality of building statewide.

Dismiss an employee
Can you dismiss an employee who fails to return to the office?

Slowly but surely, most employers are requiring employees to return to the office for at least a portion of their working week. Some employers continue to struggle with employees resistant to returning to the office or those who have an expectation that they can continue to work from home whenever it suits them.

Phoenixing in Construction
New powers to combat phoenixing in construction

The rise of phoenixing in the building and construction industry in Australia in recent years has proved a significant challenge to regulators. Mismanagement of time or cashflow can quickly propel businesses into insolvency.

© 2024 Coleman Greig Lawyers  |  Sitemap  |  Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation. ABN 73 125 176 230