Architect Checking Insulation During House Construction

Home warranty insurance: Why you need it and what to do if you don’t have it

Ben Johnson ||

Co-authored by Jace Coaldrake-Redhouse

If you’re building or renovating a home, it’s important to know about home warranty insurance. Home warranty insurance (also known as home building compensation cover) is an insurance policy that provides a safety net for homeowners if their building contractor is unable to complete construction or repair defective building works.

The legislative scheme

Home warranty insurance was introduced under the Home Building Act 1989 (NSW) (HBA) to safeguard homeowners in the event a building contractor dies, disappears or becomes insolvent without making good on their obligations under the contract. Where this occurs, the homeowner may be able to seek reimbursement of any resulting loss under their home warranty insurance policy.

Section 92 of the HBA requires building contractors undertaking most residential building projects valued at over $20,000 to take out home warranty insurance for that project. A certificate of that insurance must be provided to the homeowner.

If either of the above requirements have not been satisfied, the HBA prohibits the building contractor from requesting or demanding any payment under the contract, including a deposit, regardless of whether the works have commenced.

Further, section 94 of the HBA restricts building contractors who fail to obtain home warranty insurance from claiming any money from, or enforcing any remedies against, the homeowner under the building contract.


If you are concerned that your building contractor doesn’t have home warranty insurance for your building contract you must take swift, proactive steps to address the situation.

First, contact your building contractor and request a copy of the home warranty certificate. If you have a certificate, make sure that the certificate identifies the contractor you are working with, shows the correct contract value and properly identifies the address of the building works.

Make sure you have received the certificate before making any payments under the contract. You can check the authenticity of your certificate of insurance at the iCare NSW website.

Building contractors

It is essential that building contractors obtain home warranty insurance prior to conducting residential building works valued at over $20,000. Failing to do so can result in significant penalties and the inability to claim any money, or assert rights, under the building contract. It can also result in licencing issues and increased insurance premiums in the future.

If you do not have a home warranty insurance policy for the works, and the contract has been breached, terminated or repudiated by the homeowner, you may still be able to recover the value of the work you have provided to the homeowner if a court or tribunal considers that to be just and equitable.

In considering what is just and equitable for the purposes of the contract, the court or tribunal will consider the whole of the circumstances surrounding the dispute. This may include, for example, the impact of no insurance on the resale price of the property, or the benefit to the homeowner for receiving work without having to pay for it.

Home warranty insurance claims

Homeowners may be able to make a claim under a home warranty insurance policy when one of the following “trigger” events takes place, these are where the building contractor:

  1. becomes insolvent;
  2. dies;
  3. disappears; or
  4. has their building license suspended due to non-compliance with a money order made by NCAT or a Court in favour of the homeowner.

There are notification requirements and time limits for making claims under home warranty insurance. It’s important to seek advice about your rights and responsibilities as soon as an issue arises.

If you require guidance in relation to home warranty insurance or you have found yourself without insurance and want to explore your options to recover any resulting loss, please contact Coleman Greig’s Building and Construction team.


Send an enquiry

Any personal information you provide is collected pursuant to our Privacy Policy.


More posts

Can i put my home on Airbnb?

Airbnb is a form of short-term rental accommodation. To add your property to Airbnb in NSW, you are required to meet several laws and regulations governing short-term rentals.

When are liquidators required to seek approval to retain legal counsel?

When does a liquidator (or the company he or she is appointed to) need court, creditor, or committee approval to validly retain a solicitor to act in a liquidation matter which is likely to extend for longer than three months?  The answer to this question has only recently been settled.

Proposed changes to building and construction law in NSW

The Building Bill 2022 (the Bill) is the key avenue through which the NSW Government has proposed to reshape the culture of the building and construction industry by eliminating poor performance and improving the quality of building statewide.

Can you dismiss an employee who fails to return to the office?

Slowly but surely, most employers are requiring employees to return to the office for at least a portion of their working week. Some employers continue to struggle with employees resistant to returning to the office or those who have an expectation that they can continue to work from home whenever it suits them.

New powers to combat phoenixing in construction

The rise of phoenixing in the building and construction industry in Australia in recent years has proved a significant challenge to regulators. Mismanagement of time or cashflow can quickly propel businesses into insolvency.

The NSW Building Commission’s extraordinary powers

In late 2023, the NSW Government passed the Building Legislation Amendment Bill 2023 (Amendment Bill). The Amendment Bill established the NSW Building Commission and granted it extraordinary powers to enter construction sites, inspect work and take away information and materials.

© 2024 Coleman Greig Lawyers   |  Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation. ABN 73 125 176 230