Divorce agreement. Wife and husband can not make settlement

I have separated – do I need to go to court?

In a May 2018 Sydney Morning Herald article titled Parenting, property and the misery of family law, author Jenna Price commented that as it relates to family law:

“The court system meant to deal with your devastating problems is in chaos – better to keep well away from it and keep your money for setting up your separate household.”

As a solicitor whose practice is entirely focused on family law, I would love to disagree with Ms Price, and extol the virtues of the Family Court of Australia or the Federal Circuit Court of Australia as a simple and inexpensive way of resolving your family law problems – but I cannot.  

Unfortunately, what Ms Price has indicated in this article is very much in line with my experience.

This is not in any way a criticism of the courts, which do the best that they can with regard to dealing with the plethora of matters that come before them.  The issue, quite frankly, stems from a severe lack of Judges combined with an extremely high, and ever-growing number of family law matters.  The Judges that I appear in front of work extraordinarily hard, and endeavour to both streamline and finalise matters as best they can.  However, there are only so many hours in the day, and so many things that they can do.

Regrettably, sometimes court is inevitable.  Parties can become so entrenched in their positions, or their views of what has occurred throughout the relationship may be so diametrically opposed, that it is impossible for them to meet in the middle.  However, in most matters that I deal with, there are ways in which compromises can be reached.

When emotionally invested in a matter, it can often be very difficult to take a step back and make a financially sensible decision with respect to property matters.  For parents, nothing in life is more cherished than your children – and to make any sort of compromise with respect to their safety, for example, is simply not possible.  However, I often say to clients that if a result is achieved whereby one party is not receiving as much time with the children as they would like, and the other party is giving the children to their ex-partner more than they would like to, it is quite likely that the right result has been achieved.

It is almost impossible for a person going through either a family law matter or a separation to both leave their emotions at the door and take an objective and analytical approach to their separation – including what should transpire as a consequence.  It is for this reason that decisions surrounding which solicitor to work with are so important.

As attending court is sometimes necessary, selecting a solicitor who is well versed in appearing in court is vital.  With this in mind, and as highlighted in Ms Price’s article, court should be avoided at all costs.  A solicitor who is able to take a pragmatic and commercially sound approach to your matter, assist you with the practicalities of the situation and help you to see through the array of emotions that run hand in hand with family law matters is likely to give you the best chance of coming out of court with the best possible result.

If you are currently going through a separation and you are concerned about how the matter can be resolved, or whether court is inevitable within your particular circumstances, please do not hesitate to get in touch with one of Coleman Greig’s Accredited Specialists in Family Law:


Send an enquiry

Any personal information you provide is collected pursuant to our Privacy Policy.


More posts

Understanding roles in the strata scheme

A strata scheme is a building or group of buildings that have been divided into lots which can be apartments, villas, offices, units or townhouses. This will be articulated in the strata plan.

Can i put my home on Airbnb?

Airbnb is a form of short-term rental accommodation. To add your property to Airbnb in NSW, you are required to meet several laws and regulations governing short-term rentals.

When are liquidators required to seek approval to retain legal counsel?

When does a liquidator (or the company he or she is appointed to) need court, creditor, or committee approval to validly retain a solicitor to act in a liquidation matter which is likely to extend for longer than three months?  The answer to this question has only recently been settled.

Proposed changes to building and construction law in NSW

The Building Bill 2022 (the Bill) is the key avenue through which the NSW Government has proposed to reshape the culture of the building and construction industry by eliminating poor performance and improving the quality of building statewide.

Can you dismiss an employee who fails to return to the office?

Slowly but surely, most employers are requiring employees to return to the office for at least a portion of their working week. Some employers continue to struggle with employees resistant to returning to the office or those who have an expectation that they can continue to work from home whenever it suits them.

New powers to combat phoenixing in construction

The rise of phoenixing in the building and construction industry in Australia in recent years has proved a significant challenge to regulators. Mismanagement of time or cashflow can quickly propel businesses into insolvency.

The NSW Building Commission’s extraordinary powers

In late 2023, the NSW Government passed the Building Legislation Amendment Bill 2023 (Amendment Bill). The Amendment Bill established the NSW Building Commission and granted it extraordinary powers to enter construction sites, inspect work and take away information and materials.

© 2024 Coleman Greig Lawyers   |  Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation. ABN 73 125 176 230