Businesswoman working in office

Costs in the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT)

Laura Bazouni ||

Often at the conclusion of legal proceedings, a Court or Tribunal usually determines the question of who is entitled to their “costs”. Costs refer to the legal expenses incurred by each party to a proceeding and includes disbursements such as such as filing and expert fees. 

The general common law position is that the unsuccessful party is ordered to pay part of the costs of the successful party.

The starting position in the New South Wales Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) is different.

Section 60(1) of the Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 2013 (NSW) (the Act), states that each party to a proceeding, is to pay their own costs, regardless of the outcome as a general rule. However, there are circumstances where this position can be changed.

Special Circumstances 

NCAT has the discretion to consider the existence of any special circumstances which may warrant making an order for costs in favour of a party.

In determining whether there are special circumstances, NCAT may have regard to the following:

  • whether a party has conducted the proceedings in a way that unnecessarily disadvantaged another party to the proceeding;
  • whether a party has been responsible for unreasonably prolonging the time taken to ?nalise a proceeding;
  • the relative strengths of the claims made by each of the parties, including whether the claim had a tenable basis in fact or law;
  • the nature and complexity of proceedings;
  • whether the proceedings were frivolous or vexatious;
  • whether a party has refused or failed to comply with the duty imposed by section 36(3); and,
  • any other matter that the tribunal considers relevant. 

Consumer and Commercial Division

Notwithstanding section 60 of the Act, the position is again di?erent if you are in NCAT’s Consumer and Commercial Division. Pursuant to rule 38 of the Civil and Administrative Tribunal Rules 2014 (NSW), costs may be awarded in the consumer and commercial division, in the absence of any special circumstances.

An order for costs may be made in circumstances where the amount claimed or in dispute in the proceedings is more than $30,000.

Ultimately, if you are a party to a proceeding in NCAT, you will generally be expected to pay your own costs, however there may be scope to seek an order for costs subject to the above.

If you have any questions in relation to the above, please do not hesitate to reach out to Coleman Greig’s Building and Construction Lawyers, who are highly experienced with matters in the NCAT’s Consumer and Commercial Division, and are able to provide expert, tailored advice – no matter the complexity of the matter.


Send an enquiry

Any personal information you provide is collected pursuant to our Privacy Policy.


More posts

SafeWork NSW
SafeWork NSW releases new strategy to address psychosocial hazards

On 22 May 2024 SafeWork NSW introduced a new strategy to address psychological and psychosocial hazards. The SafeWork NSW Psychological Health and Safety Strategy 2024-2026 establishes new supports for employers regarding their duties in preventing psychosocial harm in the workplace.

roles in the strata scheme
Understanding roles in the strata scheme

A strata scheme is a building or group of buildings that have been divided into lots which can be apartments, villas, offices, units or townhouses. This will be articulated in the strata plan.

Airbnb home
Can I put my home on Airbnb?

Airbnb is a form of short-term rental accommodation. To add your property to Airbnb in NSW, you are required to meet several laws and regulations governing short-term rentals.

liquidators required to seek approval
When are liquidators required to seek approval to retain legal counsel?

When does a liquidator (or the company he or she is appointed to) need court, creditor, or committee approval to validly retain a solicitor to act in a liquidation matter which is likely to extend for longer than three months?  The answer to this question has only recently been settled.

Proposed changes to building
Proposed changes to building and construction law in NSW

The Building Bill 2022 (the Bill) is the key avenue through which the NSW Government has proposed to reshape the culture of the building and construction industry by eliminating poor performance and improving the quality of building statewide.

Dismiss an employee
Can you dismiss an employee who fails to return to the office?

Slowly but surely, most employers are requiring employees to return to the office for at least a portion of their working week. Some employers continue to struggle with employees resistant to returning to the office or those who have an expectation that they can continue to work from home whenever it suits them.

Phoenixing in Construction
New powers to combat phoenixing in construction

The rise of phoenixing in the building and construction industry in Australia in recent years has proved a significant challenge to regulators. Mismanagement of time or cashflow can quickly propel businesses into insolvency.

© 2024 Coleman Greig Lawyers  |  Sitemap  |  Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation. ABN 73 125 176 230