Two keys with split key rings with pendant in shape of house

We’ve reached an agreement – how do we make it legal?

Madison Kelly, ||

It is often the case that separated parties avoid engaging lawyers from the get go, as they feel that it is an unnecessary step in deciding who keeps what (particularly when the asset pool is relatively conservative), or who gets to spend time with the children, and when.

Whilst parties may have reached an agreement, it is important to understand that an informal agreement is not legally binding on either party, and that as such, a lawyer may actually be required to formalise the agreement.  In Coleman Greig’s experience, it is incredibly important for agreements to be formalised, because in circumstances where they are not, it is possible for either party to apply to the Family Court of Australia for a completely new arrangement in the future.

Consent Orders vs Binding Financial Agreements

There are a number of key differences between Consent Orders and Binding Financial Agreements worth keeping in mind – these being that:

  • Binding Financial Agreement is not reviewed by a court, and is binding once both parties have signed;
  • Both parties must each receive independent legal advice before a Binding Financial Agreement can be made legally binding; and
  • A Binding Financial Agreement can only apply to financial matters.

Binding Financial Agreement can be entered into before, during or after a marriage (or de-facto relationship), as opposed to a Consent Order, which can only arise following the breakdown of a relationship.

The drafting of a Binding Financial Agreement is a very technical and detailed process, so it is crucial that both parties engage the services of a solicitor to assist them throughout the process.

Property Matters

The most common way of formalising agreements is through the use of Consent Orders.  Consent Orders are court orders entered into by mutual agreement, and can relate to:

Consent Orders must be filed with the Family Court alongside an Application for Consent Orders.  An Application for Consent Orders outlines the relevant information required by the court in determining whether the proposed orders are just and equitable (within the context of a property matter) or in the best interests of the child/ren (within the context of a parenting matter).

Pursuant to the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth), Orders will only be made if the court is satisfied of these aspects.  If the Orders are made, they become legally enforceable immediately.

Whilst it is not mandatory for lawyers to draft the documents, the Consent Orders do need to be drafted in a way that makes them enforceable, so in the vast majority of situations a lawyer will be best placed to draft the documents.  It is important that the Orders are drafted correctly in order to eliminate the potential for issues, or further litigation.

There are very limited grounds upon which Consent Orders can be appealed, set aside, varied or discharged.  These are covered in Section 79A of the Family Law Act, and include where:

  1. There has been a miscarriage of justice by reason of fraud, duress, suppression of evidence (including failure to disclose relevant information), the giving of false evidence or any other circumstance; or
  2. In the circumstances that have arisen since the order was made it is impracticable for the order to be carried out or impracticable for a part of the order to be carried out; or
  3. A person has defaulted in carrying out an obligation imposed on the person by the order and, in the circumstances that have arisen as a result of that default, it is just and equitable to vary the order or to set the order aside and make another order in substitution for the order; or
  4. In the circumstances that have arisen since the making of the order, being circumstances of an exceptional nature relating to the care, welfare and development of a child of the marriage, the child or, where the applicant has caring responsibility for the child (as defined in subsection (1AA)), the applicant, will suffer hardship if the court does not vary the order or set the order aside and make another order in substitution for the order; or
  5. A proceeds of crime order has been made covering property of the parties to the marriage or either of them, or a proceeds of crime order has been made against a party to the marriage.

For further information on the specific circumstances that might require the Family Court to either set aside, or vary a Consent Order, please click through to Section 79A of the Family Law Act 1975.

Parenting Matters

As with property matters, Consent Orders can be used for parenting arrangements.  With this in mind, parties to a relationship breakdown also have the option of implementing a parenting plan, which is essentially the same, although not legally enforceable.

It is for this reason that parenting plans are generally a better option for parties who:

  1. Do not wish to involve lawyers; and
  2. Who are relatively amicable and unlikely to breach the agreement.

Parenting plans are flexible and can be changed at any time if agreed to by both parties, although the reality is that if one party chooses not to follow the parenting plan, it cannot be enforced.

If you have reached an agreement with your ex-spouse and are looking to speak with an experienced family lawyer prior to making your next move, please don’t hesitate to get in contact with one of Coleman Greig’s Accredited Family Law Specialists.


Send an enquiry

Any personal information you provide is collected pursuant to our Privacy Policy.


More posts

When are liquidators required to seek approval to retain legal counsel?

When does a liquidator (or the company he or she is appointed to) need court, creditor, or committee approval to validly retain a solicitor to act in a liquidation matter which is likely to extend for longer than three months?  The answer to this question has only recently been settled.

Proposed changes to building and construction law in NSW

The Building Bill 2022 (the Bill) is the key avenue through which the NSW Government has proposed to reshape the culture of the building and construction industry by eliminating poor performance and improving the quality of building statewide.

Can you dismiss an employee who fails to return to the office?

Slowly but surely, most employers are requiring employees to return to the office for at least a portion of their working week. Some employers continue to struggle with employees resistant to returning to the office or those who have an expectation that they can continue to work from home whenever it suits them.

New powers to combat phoenixing in construction

The rise of phoenixing in the building and construction industry in Australia in recent years has proved a significant challenge to regulators. Mismanagement of time or cashflow can quickly propel businesses into insolvency.

The NSW Building Commission’s extraordinary powers

In late 2023, the NSW Government passed the Building Legislation Amendment Bill 2023 (Amendment Bill). The Amendment Bill established the NSW Building Commission and granted it extraordinary powers to enter construction sites, inspect work and take away information and materials.

© 2024 Coleman Greig Lawyers   |  Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation. ABN 73 125 176 230