wife and husband signing divorce documents or premarital agreement

Factors to consider prior to filing an application for divorce

Are you separated, and starting to wonder ‘what’s next’?  

If you are married and have been separated for at least 12 months and 1 day, it may be time to consider applying for divorce.

There are two ways to apply for a divorce, either solely or jointly.  Applying for a sole application means that you are the only party applying for the divorce.  In these circumstances, there is a requirement that the application is served upon the other party, and that appropriate proof is provided to confirm that the application has in fact been served.

In the event that you and your spouse are amicable, you can apply jointly, which removes the need to serve the other party with the divorce application, as both parties will be able to sign the application prior to it being filed.

A filing fee must be paid when the application for divorce is submitted.  Currently, this fee stands at $900 – although in the event that a party is eligible for a fee reduction (either by virtue of having a concession card, or through the successful application for financial hardship), the fee is reduced to $300.

Once the application has been filed, the matter is allocated a hearing date, although depending on the specific circumstances of your application, attendance at this hearing may not be required.

It is crucial that parties looking to apply for divorce are aware of the fact that if you are making the application solely and you have children under the age of 18, then either you or your legal representative will be required to attend the hearing.  The purpose of this is to ensure that the party is available to answer any questions that the Registrar may have in relation to the care arrangements for the children post-separation, or similarly if there are any other outstanding issues to be addressed.

Following a divorce becoming absolute, there is a 12 month timeline associated with the commencement of property and/or spousal maintenance proceedings, which we strongly suggest any parties considering applying for a divorce take into account prior to making the application.
Although there are certain circumstances where the Family Court may give leave to file an application brought outside of that timeframe, in Coleman Greig’s experience it is much easier in the long-run to file an application on time.

Coleman Greig’s family law team urges readers to actively consider each of the factors raised in this piece prior to filing an application for divorce.  The application itself is relatively straightforward, providing that you have all the documents required to accompany the application – which can be discussed with your family lawyer.  It is important to be thoroughly prepared, and for parties to consider whether it may similarly be the right time for you to look at property and parenting arrangements, if these have not already been finalised.

If you would like to speak with a lawyer with regard to divorce, property or parenting matters, or you require advice on the best way to finalise your matter, please don’t hesitate to get in contact with one of Coleman Greig’s Accredited Family Law Specialists.


Send an enquiry

Any personal information you provide is collected pursuant to our Privacy Policy.


More posts

SafeWork NSW
SafeWork NSW releases new strategy to address psychosocial hazards

On 22 May 2024 SafeWork NSW introduced a new strategy to address psychological and psychosocial hazards. The SafeWork NSW Psychological Health and Safety Strategy 2024-2026 establishes new supports for employers regarding their duties in preventing psychosocial harm in the workplace.

roles in the strata scheme
Understanding roles in the strata scheme

A strata scheme is a building or group of buildings that have been divided into lots which can be apartments, villas, offices, units or townhouses. This will be articulated in the strata plan.

Airbnb home
Can I put my home on Airbnb?

Airbnb is a form of short-term rental accommodation. To add your property to Airbnb in NSW, you are required to meet several laws and regulations governing short-term rentals.

liquidators required to seek approval
When are liquidators required to seek approval to retain legal counsel?

When does a liquidator (or the company he or she is appointed to) need court, creditor, or committee approval to validly retain a solicitor to act in a liquidation matter which is likely to extend for longer than three months?  The answer to this question has only recently been settled.

Proposed changes to building
Proposed changes to building and construction law in NSW

The Building Bill 2022 (the Bill) is the key avenue through which the NSW Government has proposed to reshape the culture of the building and construction industry by eliminating poor performance and improving the quality of building statewide.

Dismiss an employee
Can you dismiss an employee who fails to return to the office?

Slowly but surely, most employers are requiring employees to return to the office for at least a portion of their working week. Some employers continue to struggle with employees resistant to returning to the office or those who have an expectation that they can continue to work from home whenever it suits them.

Phoenixing in Construction
New powers to combat phoenixing in construction

The rise of phoenixing in the building and construction industry in Australia in recent years has proved a significant challenge to regulators. Mismanagement of time or cashflow can quickly propel businesses into insolvency.

© 2024 Coleman Greig Lawyers  |  Sitemap  |  Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation. ABN 73 125 176 230