City of Ryde residential suburbs of Greater Sydney in Australia - aerial view towards distant city CBD on horizon.

Stamp Duty and land tax and foreigners in NSW

Sarah Newman ||

The surcharge stamp duty and land tax for foreigners in NSW has been around for about 5 years now but it seems that people are still getting it wrong, and given the current squeeze on the NSW coffers, Revenue NSW has made it their business to make sure that if we’re not getting it right, they will top up those coffers, i.e. they are auditing heavily and looking for errors.

Just about every purchaser has to pay stamp duty (first home buyers are a different kind of purchaser and I won’t cover that here).  Stamp Duty is paid based on the consideration paid for the purchase, on a sliding (and increasing) scale from 1.25% to 5.5%, and then premium duty of 7% for any amount over $3,101,000.

But what if you’re a foreigner?  And what is a foreigner anyway?  When purchasing property in NSW, if you were born in Australia or you have been naturalised Australian and hold an Australian Citizenship certificate and/or an Australian passport, you will never pay foreigner purchaser surcharge duty (or land tax – more on that below).

A permanent resident is usually considered to be Australian, same as a citizen, But there is the 200 day rule that is usually forgotten.  What does this mean?  It means if you are a non-citizen with a permanent resident visa and you are NOT in the country for 200 days in the year before you make your purchase, your permanent residency is discounted and you will be treated as a foreigner purchaser and required to pay, in addition to that stamp duty referred to above, an additional whopping great 8% surcharge (that’s on the value of the property, i.e. if you’re buying for a million dollars that’s an additional $80,000!)  to Revenue NSW on top of the duty you are already paying.

Is there any way around this?  There is one way (phew!).  If you weren’t here (in Australia) for 200 days in the year before, you can apply for an exemption on the basis that you will be in the country for another 200 days in the year after the purchase is complete.

Don’t forget as well, if you are purchasing in a corporate entity or trust, even if that entity is registered or created in Australia,  more than 20% foreign ownership (i.e. foreign shareholders or trust unit holders) make the company or trust a foreign entity and you lose that Aussie exemption to the surcharge.

Land tax is an annual payment made to Revenue NSW on the ‘unimproved’ value of the land that is owned in NSW, with certain exemptions, including your home.  Land tax  is charged at a rate of 1.6 per cent on the aggregate of unimproved land value of properties owned by an individual that exceed the threshold each year. The threshold rises each year but your property’s unimproved land value also increases each year (the values are determined by the Valuer-General).

If you are a foreigner who owns property in NSW then you will be liable to pay foreigner surcharge land tax.  This is payable even if you would otherwise be exempt, i.e. on your home.  So if you are, for example, in Australia on a temporary working visa and you own the home you live in, on top of any other duties we talked about above, you will also be liable to pay the foreigner surcharge, which is 2% on the full unimproved land value,  per year, from $0, i.e. there is no land tax-free threshold .

So if your unimproved land value is either less than the threshold, let’s say $400,000, but you are a foreigner, you will be liable to pay $8,000 in foreigner surcharge land tax per annum.  And if it is over the threshold but a citizen (meaning any citizen home owner-occupier) would be exempt, if the property was valued at say $900,000, then you would be liable to pay $18,000 in land tax.  The 200 day rule applies to land tax as well.

Note – this 2% surcharge goes up to 4% in 2023.

If you think your stamp duty or land tax has been incorrectly calculated and you think you should be paying the foreigner surcharge, you’re more likely to have penalties and interest waived if you self-report to Revenue NSW before they find you (and they are now constantly auditing all transactions and looking for errors, and remember, they have access to customs and border control records).

If you have any questions about the foreigner surcharge stamp duty or land tax, please do not hesitate to contact a member of Coleman Greig’s Property Team, who would be more than happy to assist you today.


Send an enquiry

Any personal information you provide is collected pursuant to our Privacy Policy.


More posts

Understanding roles in the strata scheme

A strata scheme is a building or group of buildings that have been divided into lots which can be apartments, villas, offices, units or townhouses. This will be articulated in the strata plan.

Can i put my home on Airbnb?

Airbnb is a form of short-term rental accommodation. To add your property to Airbnb in NSW, you are required to meet several laws and regulations governing short-term rentals.

When are liquidators required to seek approval to retain legal counsel?

When does a liquidator (or the company he or she is appointed to) need court, creditor, or committee approval to validly retain a solicitor to act in a liquidation matter which is likely to extend for longer than three months?  The answer to this question has only recently been settled.

Proposed changes to building and construction law in NSW

The Building Bill 2022 (the Bill) is the key avenue through which the NSW Government has proposed to reshape the culture of the building and construction industry by eliminating poor performance and improving the quality of building statewide.

Can you dismiss an employee who fails to return to the office?

Slowly but surely, most employers are requiring employees to return to the office for at least a portion of their working week. Some employers continue to struggle with employees resistant to returning to the office or those who have an expectation that they can continue to work from home whenever it suits them.

New powers to combat phoenixing in construction

The rise of phoenixing in the building and construction industry in Australia in recent years has proved a significant challenge to regulators. Mismanagement of time or cashflow can quickly propel businesses into insolvency.

The NSW Building Commission’s extraordinary powers

In late 2023, the NSW Government passed the Building Legislation Amendment Bill 2023 (Amendment Bill). The Amendment Bill established the NSW Building Commission and granted it extraordinary powers to enter construction sites, inspect work and take away information and materials.

© 2024 Coleman Greig Lawyers   |  Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation. ABN 73 125 176 230