Rental agreement

My tenant has stopped paying rent – what can I do?

When entering into a leasing contract, rent is an essential term – and must be paid on time by the tenant as part of the tenancy agreement. When the tenant has failed to pay the rent when it is due, they are in rent arrears. 

But what happens when your tenant stops paying rent? What are your options as an owner, and what is the best course of action?

NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal

In circumstances where your tenant is frequently a few days late with their rental payments, an application can be made to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal for an order for the tenant to comply with the terms of the tenancy agreement.

There are a number of General orders that you may find relevant, such as 187(1)(a) and 187(1)(b) – although as every situation is different, Coleman Greig strongly advises you to look into the range of orders that landlords can request mid-tenancy.

Termination Notice

If the tenant has not paid rent for more than 14 days from the date that it was due, you as the landlord do have the option to serve a termination notice. The notice must be in writing and both signed and dated by your agent. It must have the tenant address, and include the following:

  • The day by which the tenant is to vacate the premises by (at least 14 days’ notice is required)
  • The grounds for giving the notice – in this case, the non-payment of rent for at least 14 days 
  • A statement making clear to the tenant that if they have paid all of the owing rent, or that if they agree to enter into a repayment plan agreed upon by the owner, then they do not have to vacate the property.

Depending on the circumstances, it may be relevant for you as the owner to submit an application for orders 187(1)(a), 187(1)(b) and 187(1)(c).

Repayment plan

In circumstances where the tenant genuinely intends to pay back the owing rent, a repayment plan can be entered into and must be agreed upon by you as the owner.

For more information on what to do if your tenant has stopped paying rent, please contact:


Send an enquiry

Any personal information you provide is collected pursuant to our Privacy Policy.


More posts

SafeWork NSW
SafeWork NSW releases new strategy to address psychosocial hazards

On 22 May 2024 SafeWork NSW introduced a new strategy to address psychological and psychosocial hazards. The SafeWork NSW Psychological Health and Safety Strategy 2024-2026 establishes new supports for employers regarding their duties in preventing psychosocial harm in the workplace.

roles in the strata scheme
Understanding roles in the strata scheme

A strata scheme is a building or group of buildings that have been divided into lots which can be apartments, villas, offices, units or townhouses. This will be articulated in the strata plan.

Airbnb home
Can I put my home on Airbnb?

Airbnb is a form of short-term rental accommodation. To add your property to Airbnb in NSW, you are required to meet several laws and regulations governing short-term rentals.

liquidators required to seek approval
When are liquidators required to seek approval to retain legal counsel?

When does a liquidator (or the company he or she is appointed to) need court, creditor, or committee approval to validly retain a solicitor to act in a liquidation matter which is likely to extend for longer than three months?  The answer to this question has only recently been settled.

Proposed changes to building
Proposed changes to building and construction law in NSW

The Building Bill 2022 (the Bill) is the key avenue through which the NSW Government has proposed to reshape the culture of the building and construction industry by eliminating poor performance and improving the quality of building statewide.

Dismiss an employee
Can you dismiss an employee who fails to return to the office?

Slowly but surely, most employers are requiring employees to return to the office for at least a portion of their working week. Some employers continue to struggle with employees resistant to returning to the office or those who have an expectation that they can continue to work from home whenever it suits them.

Phoenixing in Construction
New powers to combat phoenixing in construction

The rise of phoenixing in the building and construction industry in Australia in recent years has proved a significant challenge to regulators. Mismanagement of time or cashflow can quickly propel businesses into insolvency.

© 2024 Coleman Greig Lawyers  |  Sitemap  |  Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation. ABN 73 125 176 230