The importance of mental health, particularly in the workplace, is more prevalent than ever amidst the current COVID-19 crisis. Increased awareness of mental illness in the workplace and the community generally means employers need to have heightened awareness of mental health issues at work. The chances of having an employee with a mental illness are high, particularly where the employee’s behaviour is non-compliant or unacceptable. Sensitivity to this and factoring it into employment decisions raises questions of fairness and discrimination.
Our highly experienced employment lawyers Shawn Skyring and Anna Ford will address these issues, including:
- identifying or suspecting mental illness: possible indicators;
- factoring actual or suspected mental illness into performance management;
- harm minimisation: avoiding making things worse;
- providing support and fair process; and,
- managing fall-out if implementing discipline or termination.
Who should attend?
All managers and HR teams will benefit from attending this interactive virtual workshop. It will provide an overview of the key issues relating to mental health in the workplace and what managers across all functional areas need to be aware of when dealing with staff.