The recent Federal Court judgment surrounding long term casuals has put many employers at substantial risk of being liable for leave and other entitlements where the nature of the engagement is actually permanent and not casual. It is now critical that employers review their casual arrangements and decide what to do about them.
This highly practical, virtual workshop will focus on ensuring employment relationships are clearly established, ideally from the very beginning. As well as covering the key issues for reviewing your approach to existing casuals, we will also focus on a range of other important areas.
What will be covered?
- Recruitment do’s and don’ts
- Regulating the relationship (and their relationship to the National Employment Standards, Awards and enterprise agreements)
- Types of employment:
- Casuals – reviewing existing and new arrangements
- Fixed term
- Independent contractors
- Importance of policies and the consequences of getting things wrong
What are the key learning outcomes?
- Gain an understanding of the key characteristics of different employment engagements
- Identify potential issues that might arise from the engagement process and implementation of strategies to minimise risks from the outset
- Understand how to review existing casual arrangements and manage those relationships moving forward
Who should attend?
Anyone who is responsible for the recruitment and staffing decisions of an organisation to ensure that they are kept up to date with the latest developments. Individuals who will also benefit include, HR Directors, HR Managers, Company Secretaries, Financial Controllers and other managers responsible for HR and payroll, and SME owners.